Visit us at www.campschechter.org and on Facebook

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Shalom from Israel!


Being in Israel so far, I feel totally immersed in the culture language and heritage of the Jewish people.  It is so liberating being in an all Jewish country.  It feels so good to walk down the streets that are teeming with people.  The markets and shops are packed and construction is still going on everywhere.  One Friday afternoon I saw so many people out buying items for Shabbat. Tel Aviv parties all night and Jerusalem studies all day.  Both cities are miraculous, fun and exciting. The mood is positive with Israel’s business and high tech doing well but the mood is pessimistic on the peace front. Many have given up hope trying to find a partner for peace and there is fear over the uncertainty.  The old people here, of which there are many are saddened to see so little has changed with Israel’s neighbors. Also the dynamic between the secular and religious is not good.  Jerusalem has changed to a more observant city and the secular neighborhoods can feel like islands to them within the city that they love and grew up in.  Still there are people that speak with a hope toward peace, those that seek compromise and collaboration. As long as they don’t veer too much to the dangerous left they may still be able to persuade people to find middle ground.  It is fantastic to get into political conversations all over Israel with all types of people.  Everyone loves to talk and everyone has an opinion, I love it!

It was great meeting with Alumni in Jerusalem at Café Aroma in the Emek Rafim neighborhood. There were 15 alumni there and three parents of alumni.  It was great to see that so many Camp Solomon Schechter campers have moved to Israel.  I totally respect their commitment and contributions to the Jewish people. They all were still so enthusiastic about camp.  Clearly CSS had a huge impact on these alumni.  Shaul Stampfer, Rob and Camille Kahn, Hillel Solomon, Rona Solomon, Rich Brownstein, Noma Floom, Perri Floom, Zach Snyder and Alex Hess were the alumni that attended. They were all very excited to hear about camps progress.  I also had the privilege of meeting with Rabbi Zev Solomon, one of the founding Rabbis of Camp Solomon Schechter along with Rabbi Wagner and Rabbi Stampfer.  He was overjoyed about the camp, calling Schechter “the most important Jewish institution that we had in the northwest.” He was very interested in the waterfront, since he spent many a summer as the waterfront director. The Rabbi loves living in Jerusalem and he still appears to be in good health!

Also, while here in Israel I have had the opportunity to meet the Tzofim that are coming this summer.  They all will be great and their English is very good.  They are very excited to come to camp as three of them have not been outside of Israel before. We have a few new Israeli campers coming this summer too. It should be 4 or 5 new 8th grade Israeli girls! And after meeting them, I can guarantee that they are coming with great Ruach!

I have had a wonderful time studying at the Fuchsberg Center for Conservative Judaism.  Study and davning at the yeshiva has been a highlight for me on this trip.  I have been studying with old and young but very few my own age.  It seems that few people my age have the luxury of time to study Torah.  No bother for though as I love the youth at the yeshiva, it reminds me so much of the staff at camp.  CSS alum, Rabbi David Bluman studied at the yeshiva and so it makes sense that I feel so at home.  I have studied Torah, Talmud, Chumash, Kaballah and Jewish History while I am here and tomorrow I go out and pick fruits and vegetables for the poor as my Tikun Olam project while I am here.

Finally, I am here visiting one of my favorite CSS campers, Liat Perlin!  Liat (Oded) is here on the Ramah High School in Jerusalem trip for four months.  She has thoroughly enjoyed it as have all of the Try-nicks (Gabrielle Richmond, Abby Bernhard and Carrie French are also here on the program).  I recommend a TRY or any trip to Israel for every Camp Solomon Schechter camper!  Experiencing life in Israel, especially when you are young, is critical to understanding the importance of the existence of the state of Israel.

I for one feel very proud when I am here in Israel.  Proud about all that the Jews have accomplished in such a short time, proud of the resiliency of the Jewish people, we are a strong people only 65 years from the time of the Shoa (Holocaust), we are democratic and free.  I love Israel!  I love being Jewish!  Now bring on the summer!!!

B’Shalom!  Sam


Sam, Liat and Sharon Perlin in Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment